Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Brazil 2011 Days 1-2 from a new perspective

This is the second day impressions of our newest team member, Pastor Brent Aucoin.

In Brazil and having a great time with Alexandre Mendes and Anna and the believers here in Brazil. I tasted pig's ear with my lunch today. It had the texture of the fat part of bacon and a similar taste. Tonight we are going out for Brazilian pizza.
More importantly, I was suddenly overcome with an unexpected sadness today. After I taught some Brazilian brothers in Christ through a translator, they started to pray. They were affirming each other in their prayers but I could not understand nor unite my heart with theirs. I did not plan my response. It was a spontaneous and profound sadness.
Language is the medium by which we gain an intimate knowledge of another. Think about it. Through accurate and vulnerable communication, we invite others to know us. Apart from communication, there is no intimate knowledge of one another. Those who can understand this communication are getting a small piece of knowledge about me. And remember Christ is referred to in John 1:1 as the "word" which communicates to us intimate knowledge of who God is (John 1:18).
Thus for that moment today I felt isolated from my brothers in Christ. Separate. Unable to partake in fellowship even though I wanted to. I longed for the day when the judgment rendered at the Tower of Babel would be reversed and there would be no barriers in knowing one another as we have been known by God.

No comments: